Sunday, October 28, 2018

Turtles All the Way Down


One of the things I've started to do fairly recently, is check out Audio Books from the library and listen to them while I check e-mail, work on my photography, or anything else I have to do while sitting at the computer.  In my mind, this doubles my reading time since I can be listening to the book while I get other things done that I need to do.

My most recent 'listen' was "Turtles All the Way Down" by John Green.  The story itself was good, but I did have some issues with the narrator.  There was just something about the way she spoke that was irritating to me.  It wasn't something I couldn't get past though, and I was able to listen to the whole book.

Down to the meat of the story though...
I was intrigued by Aza as a character and her conditions.  I have experience with anxiety and O.C.D. but not to this extreme.  I can't imagine having my thoughts spiral to the degree in which hers did.  The toll it takes on her relationships and just her functioning as a normal individual are hard to fathom.

The mystery going on in the story is enjoyable, but also made me angry.  Without spoiling anyone, I just can't imagine how a person can do what Davis's father did.  And my heart hurt for Davis and Noah.  Sometimes, being a parent makes certain stories even more emotional for me.  When reading books like this as a child, I obviously identified with the child.  Now that I have kids of my own, I generally end up identifying with the adult, and I just couldn't see how this man behaved in this manner.

The dynamic between Aza and Daisy was different from other friendships I've read about and I think that the fanfic that Aza finally read ultimately gave them a stronger bond.  Daisy's feelings about her friendship with Aza made me reflect on my own friendships and how my anxiety might color people's opinions of me.  I think in the future I will be more conscious of how that anxiety manifests itself when hanging out with friends.

Like all Green novels, I did enjoy it.  It was deep and meaningful.  Some YA is what I call 'fluffy,'  it's easy to read and light and fun.  Those books are awesome, but so are the ones like this.  If you want more than a sweet romance, this book might be for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment