Saturday, November 17, 2018

The Boyfriend List

After listening to two such powerful and emotional books, I needed something light and fluffy.  So, my next pick was The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart.  I had read We Were Liars a few years ago by the same author and really liked it.  So, I was hopeful that I would enjoy this one too.

The title of this book is slightly misleading.  Boys and boyfriends definitely play a role in this book, but it's about so much more than that.  This book was a great way to show teen girls that the boyfriend of it all is not the most important thing.  Being true to yourself is more important.  Standing up for yourself is more important.  Finding loyal friends is more important.  

The main character, Ruby, finds herself having panic attacks and through the therapy that results from that, she ends up learning a lot about herself and re-evaluating her life and choices.

One thing that really bothered me throughout the story, was Ruby's friends.  Her friend Kim was HORRIBLE!  I don't understand how none of her other friends realized that what Kim did was a total shitty thing to do!  Young girls can be so MEAN and also oblivious to when someone is doing them wrong.  But through this book, I hope teens can learn that holding it all in is unhealthy.

I know my friend, Beka, has read this book...has anyone else?  What are your thoughts?  

No comments:

Post a Comment