Thursday, November 15, 2018

The Last Star

It's been awhile since I read The 5th Wave and The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey.  When I read the first two, I don't believe that the third book had been published yet.  And as so often it happens, it kept getting pushed back on my "to read" list when it finally was.  When I saw it on Libby, I knew I should finally finish the trilogy.  Unfortunately, I waited so long that I was a bit lost as to what was going on in the beginning.  In hindsight, I should have refreshed my memory with the first two books or at least listening/reading the last chapter or so of the 2nd book prior to getting started on this one.  Oh well, hindsight is 20/20, right?

Anyhow, once I got into the story and my memory of the first two books started coming back, I was really into it.  There was plenty of action and it kept me on the "edge of my seat" so to speak.  There were also a couple of crazy plot twist moments.  

I know from skimming some other reviews on both Amazon and GoodReads, that a lot of people did not like the book.  They thought the ending was horrible, they thought there were many chapters with nothing interesting going on.  I did not have this feeling.  The ending was tragic, that's true.  It wasn't tied up in a neat pretty little bow like some books or series are.  But that's realistic to me.  Not everyone gets a happy ending.  Not all stories end perfectly...some are even just beginning.  This ending left some possibilities open to imagine.  What might have happened with these characters after the final page?  How were things rebuilt?  I'm not saying I like it for every book I read, but sometimes that's what fits with the rest of the story, and I found that to be true here.  

That's not to say the ending didn't upset me.  I was sad.  And for more than just the main reason most people were sad.  Things weren't pretty...but some things showed a possibility of being pretty eventually.  That's the part I look for in endings like this.

All in all, if you enjoyed the first two books, you should definitely finish the series.  Did anyone else have trouble with this third book?  Anyone who, like me, enjoyed it for what it was?

No comments:

Post a Comment