Thursday, November 15, 2018

The Girl on the Train

First of all, it's KILLING me to not be able to read actual books!  I know someone out there understands, right?

I've been listening to audio books though, and I've finished several that I need to post about, so forgive my mass posting tonight while I try to catch up.  For those who don't know, I've also been put on limited screen time, so I'm not at my computer or on my phone very much.

I've had the paperback of The Girl on the Train for quite awhile and just hadn't gotten around to reading it.  With this new limitation, I decided to check it out on Libby and listen instead.  (If you don't know about Libby, you're missing out!  It's a free app and you can sign in using your library card.  Then you can check out audio and e-books on whatever device you have the app installed!)  

First of all, I love listening to people with English accents, so the audio was fun for that reason alone!  But unfortunately, I found it difficult to really get invested in the story.  Mainly because I didn't really like any of the three narrators.  The story is told from three different women's perspectives and throughout most of the book, none of them have any redeeming qualities.  One is a drunk who's sort of guy obsessed.  One is a married woman who cheats on her husband.  One is a woman who started as a mistress and then got pregnant and ended up with someone else's husband.

Of course, the main part of the story is a mystery and so it was difficult to walk away, even though I wasn't really enjoying the book for a majority of it.  I just needed to know what happened.  I will say, though, if I had been reading instead of listening, I might have given up on it.  That's one good thing about audio books...it's easier to keep going with a book that might not be your favorite.  It's how I finished A Tree Grows in Brooklyn this past summer as well.  (I wasn't blogging then, but feel free to check out my GoodReads for my review.)

Anyway, in the end I was a bit shocked at the "whodunit" of the story and I did end up even liking a couple of the characters.  (One more than the other.) I even understand why the author told the story in the manner in which she did.  We had to think certain things about these women were true in order to keep the suspense.  I am curious about the movie adaptation, but have been told it's worse than the book and since I didn't particularly enjoy the book, I will not be rushing to watch the movie.

I'm curious if any of you have read this book or watched the movie adaptation and what your thoughts were!  Tell me in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment