Thursday, November 15, 2018

The Fill-In Boyfriend

After listening to The Girl on the Train on my Libby app, I decided to see how my Hoopla app compared.  So, I checked out The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West.  (Hoopla is another free app that uses your library card, but your library must be a participant in order to use it.  Check your local library for details.)  I liked the Hoopla app just as much as the Libby app, the only major difference being that I could still play games and check texts and other things while listening on Libby, but with Hoopla the book will stop if you switch over to another app.

Anyway, back to The Fill-In Boyfriend.  I hadn't read this author before, but my daughter had read another book of hers and enjoyed it.  I really love that I can talk books with my daughter now.  (My boys too!)  And I've really been gravitating towards YA Contemporary this past year.  I normally set myself up a genre goal for the year and I didn't do that this year, instead just reading what looks good to me at the moment.  I think I will do this again in 2019.  But I have gotten off topic...The Fill-In Boyfriend...

The MC has gotten dumped and needs a... you guessed it, Fill-In Boyfriend.  The guy chosen does almost *too* good of a job in his position and makes it difficult for our MC to come clean to her friends.  It's very High School, very teen drama.  All about saving face in front of your friends and finding out that they would have loved you anyway.  Mixed in is a lesson in compassion when someone is going through stuff even when they're not nice to you.  (I still don't really care for the character I'm referring to here!)  And of course, a bit of romance in unexpected places.  Everything you need for a feel good YA romance.

I did enjoy this book enough to want to read more by this author.  Have any of you read anything by Kasie West?  By the way, in my head I've always pronounced it like Cassie, but in the audio book, they pronounced the author's name like Casey.  Not overly important, just that I like to pronounce and spell people's names correctly due to having an often misspelled or mispronounced name myself.

Happy Reading all!

No comments:

Post a Comment