Sunday, February 7, 2021

Milestone Mischief

Recently, I came across an author on TikTok who was looking for people to read and review her book "Playing with the Doctor" and I happily volunteered.  (This was when I was still able to review on Amazon.)  I ended up reading that book, which was the first in a series, in one sitting.  I actually stayed up way too late reading it, but I loved it and could not put it down.  Last night, I finished the 2nd book in the series, and I loved it almost as much.  I think I somehow related to the main character in the first book more than I did the one in the second, but they were both absolutely five star reads for me.  The series is called Milestone Mischief and each book can be read independently from the others, but if you want to read them all, I do suggest starting with book one and moving forward from there.  (Just to avoid minor spoilers.)  The following are my reviews for each book, both by author Piper James.


Playing with the Doctor

This is a five star, one sitting read for me! Holy buckets! When I tell you, I love a book that just gets your heart racing and brings you back to that feeling of falling in love, and this book got me in the feels!

The main character, Jessa, is independent to a fault. She has spent her entire life pushing people away and doesn't really see how much she's limiting herself. I loved the romance, but even more than that I loved the growth in this character as she learns, or perhaps just faces, why she does this and sees that it's no way to live. Same for our male character, Rafe, he has spent a majority of his adult life blaming himself for things that weren't his fault and paying his own sort of penance for them. Watching him learn to forgive himself was only secondary to watching Jessa's growth. (And I'll be honest enough to admit that was likely due to my seeing some of myself in Jessa.)

Now, the romance was HOT! I'm talking I had to take deep breaths and fan myself off a few times. Their chemistry is off the charts and the "playing doctor" part? O... M... G... That's going to be a scene that plays in my head for the ages! I happen to know that this author hadn't written adult before, but let me tell you that does NOT show! I'd have thought she was an old pro if I didn't know this was her first.

I very much appreciate when authors lay groundwork for future books, and I could see some definite possibilities being laid out for future stories about some of the secondary characters. Well done Ms. James! I'm eagerly anticipating a story about Nate, and I'll be honest I'm very curious about Lola too. I'd even take a bit of a prequel story about Jessa's dad!

If you like some hot contemporary romance, or if you're into characters who grow and learn about themselves through the course of a book, you're going to love Playing with the Doctor!

Faking with the Enemy

 I just fell in love with these characters and this town when I read book one.  I was so excited to get started on this book, because I just knew that Nate's story was going to get me too.


I'm actually a big fan of enemies to lovers trope, and also a mistaken slight story.  This gave me a taste of both, with a twist of not admitting their feelings.  It was just all the things in a good romance for me.


One of the things I really loved about this story though, was the friendship that has formed between the females of the story.  I feel like Ivy's character needed that friendship growth in addition to the romance story that was unravelling.  I felt like Jessa needed it as well.  The other thing I really enjoyed, was Nate's personal growth as the story wore on.  He admitted things to himself and realized the parts of his personality that needed work.  And I loved how Rafe came to help him with that.


This book definitely leaves some openings for other possible stories in this world, and after reading the first two books in this series, I simply can't wait to see what Ms. James comes up with next!

No comments:

Post a Comment