Monday, February 1, 2021

Princess of Thorns


 


Last night, I finished Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay.  This is one of my many amazing finds from my local Dollar Tree stores.  I know that most of them are older titles, but they are often very good books, and who can beat a dollar for an amazing story or adventure?  This one was even in hard cover!

This book was touted to be "Game of Thrones meets the Grimm's fairy tales" and I'm not sure about the Game of Thrones part.  However, I'll be honest and admit I've not read the books.  In fact, I'm only on Season five of the show.  But it seemed much less gruesome than Game of Thrones.  There are some dark themes in the book, such as soul eating, but it's not described in much detail and I wouldn't think much of a middle schooler reading this book, where as, I imagine I would not want the same student reading the Song of Ice and Fire books. 

In any case, here's the review I've posted on GoodReads and BookBub... an additional post will be coming regarding Amazon reviews...



I'm a big fan of retellings or fairy tale spin offs, or anything of that nature really. So it's no surprise that I truly loved this book. Not only is it about Sleeping Beauty's daughter (named Aurora, but they never call Sleeping Beauty by that name, so I assume that's a difference from the Disney version at least,) but there is a whole Swan Princess feel to the Prince's story line as well.

I love how, in this story, the Princess has to save the world, the Prince just has to help her. I think there's something to having the female of the story be the one to control her life and destiny. I like that it helps us to raise our daughters to be stronger and more self-reliant, but still ask for help when it's needed. There's a balance there.

I have read books by this author before and have yet to be disappointed. Well done Ms. Jay.

No comments:

Post a Comment