Sunday, January 30, 2022

Autistic Characters

As I'll state in my review below, I love reading about characters who are neurodivergent or who have special needs.  I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy every book in this series.  I did struggle with the narrator, as I also state below.  But to give a bit more information... due to the main character being Autistic, the stilted and slow speech seemed a bit like making fun of her.  It was difficult to listen to.  I'm not sure that's what the narrator meant to do, but that's how it came across and since I am so passionate about these things, it was difficult.  If there hadn't been such a long waiting list for the ebook, I would have switched.  However, I loved the writing and the actual story.  I loved it so much, I powered through and I ended up just loving this story.  

***************

The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang

I listened to this book on audio from the Libby app.  I have to be completely honest and say that if I had read it myself, I probably would have given it 5 stars.  The narration for the audio book was stilted and very hard to listen to.  Even after speeding it up, there were parts that made me cringe.


The book itself was amazing.  I loved the idea behind the story and the way it was executed.  I love that we have so much diversity going on in the book as well.  And not just racial diversity, but neurodiversity as well.  I hope this trend of writing characters who are not the "normal" will continue.  As a person who works with special needs for my job, I love having that type of character included in the books I read.


I loved watching the main character, Stella, come out of her shell a bit and realize that some of her so-called problems were not actually her but the people she had been dealing with prior to Michael.  I also loved Michael's family and that whole dynamic.  I love big extended families that are super close.


The end was the epitome of an HEA and I could not have been happier with where these characters ended up.  I sincerely hope that we get to see more of them as this series progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment