Sunday, January 23, 2022

MindF*ck!

I've likely stated this before, but I often do not read the blurb or synopsis of a book before reading it.  I'm the epitome of the "judge a book by it's cover" type person.  When I bought this book, I bought it specifically because I happen to love the author and love everything that she's written.  I knew that I had got a bit of a mind fuck with Verity, but I wasn't expecting another one with Layla.  I guess with the one word, woman's name title I should have guessed.  In any case, I loved it!  It was romance, intrigue, mystery, paranormal and amazing writing!  The following is my review for Layla by Colleen Hoover.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Layla by Colleen Hoover

This was definitely not what I was expecting!  Even after reading Verity, I still equate Colleen Hoover with more romantic drama than the mystery type genres.  Going back and forth between a present day interview and memories from the main character, this book built up intrigue and a desire to know what was going on that was so strong, it was hard for me to put it down!


I love the sort of paranormal element to this book and the mystery surrounding what's happening at the house.  There were several times throughout the book where I thought I had things figured out, only to be proven wrong time and time again.  And then one of the biggest plot twists I've ever read shook me to my core!  I sat with the book in front of me and my mouth hanging open for I don't even know how long until my husband asked what was going on!  


One thing I wish we'd gotten to see is how Layla's sister and Leeds ended up resolving their conflict, because I really do think that Leeds is a good guy.  I would like to see how the families get along after everything that happened.


If you enjoy a good ghost story type mystery, and a pretty epic love story all rolled into one, you will enjoy this book.  I also think fans of any of Colleen Hoover's work will enjoy it, because her writing is just phenomenal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment