Monday, January 17, 2022

Diverse Reading

I'm really behind on updating this blog.  The holidays are crazy times, and we had some very troubling times in my family as well.  We are struggling financially as well as dealing with some personal and health issues.  But, I have been reading!  Reading is my escape from all of that, so I do have plenty to post!  I'm going to start with my most recent read and then go back and try to fill in some older ones as I have time.

I'm making a personal challenge for myself to read even more diverse books in 2022.  I want to read about people of other races and cultures and immerse myself in the differences and similarities.  The first of these I've read is The Way You Make Me Feel by Maureen Goo.  The characters are Korean/Brazilian, African American, and more.  I really enjoyed reading about the different foods on a Korean/Brazilian fusion food truck.  The following is my review...

***********************

The Way You Make Me Feel by Maureen Goo

I've seen a lot of negative reviews of this book based on the main character's lack of empathy, a situation involving pork, and how self-centered she is.  I'm not going to disagree with those thoughts, but I will say that this character is on a path of personal growth.  She's maturing into who she can be instead of the immature person she was.  If you continue reading, past the pork scene and past some of her more annoying moments, you might be surprised at the way this story can help us to see that even if we get lost along the way and don't really like who we are, there is still the capacity and ability for change.  Clara showed this in some of the best ways, because she was not so great a character to begin with.

I absolutely adored the characters of Rose, Adrian and Hamlet.  I abhorred in equal measure Clara's mother.  Adrian is the epitome of a good father.  He's kind and thoughtful in the way he handles things in Clara's life.  He's ambitious in his career but makes sure to put Clara first.  And unlike a lot of parents, he makes sure to not let his feelings for her mother be seen, and puts them aside to make sure Clara is taken care of.  Rose is a perfectionist of sorts, but I think that the way she described her anxiety was a very poignant and helpful bit of dialogue.  I've yet to read a book that explained the way I see my anxiety so clearly as this.  And Hamlet is just the good guy of all good guys.  He has a big heart, he's kind and genuine, intelligent and thoughtful.  I think the fact that he sees something in Clara speaks a lot for both characters.

I loved the natural arc that the story took, from fighting and enemies to friendships, working together and finding yourself.  It's a wonderful coming of age, young adult novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment