Friday, July 9, 2021

Fiction can be Educational

I love how the best fiction novels, especially the YA ones, can be so educational.  This book and I'm hoping the 2nd in the series, which I'm reading right now, was not only educational but eye opening and so important in making awareness for situations that more people need to be aware of.  I have family who has first hand dealt with the consequences of being a person of color and how that still brings out prejudice and ignorance even today.  This book moved me to tears.  Brava to the author for bringing this type of literature to the world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Dear Martin by Nic Stone

This book and books like it are vital reading for our youth and the country at large.  Too many people still can't see how  this type of event, situation and story are still relevant and prevalent in today's society.  Too many people just can't wrap their minds around the fact that others can be this ignorant and hateful.  I was one of them, once upon a time.  I thought we had evolved to a point where the racism and snap judgement were an anomaly and not the rule.  I was wrong.  So very wrong.


Dear Martin takes a look at one young man's journey to find himself and make himself a better person by way of trying to emulate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  Through the letters he writes, he discovers things about himself, society, and even those closest to him and learns to think differently and act differently.  Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to stop the tragedies that he faced.  In moving detail, this book goes through those tragedies and how Justyce reacts and changes because of them.  I think it's amazing how the author was even able to show some of the side character's growth and education in these matters as well.


I was touched and moved and I am already listening to the 2nd book in this universe.  I think I've found a new author to follow in Nic Stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment