Friday, July 9, 2021

TikTok Made Me Read It

TikTok and the BookTok side of it has definitely been influencing my reading choices this year.  I've heard about ACOTAR so much over the past six months or so and I decided to go ahead and put a hold on it in the Libby app.  I didn't expect to love it as much as I did and I'm disappointed that I didn't go ahead and put a hold on book two at the same time.  Now I have some waiting to do for the next in series!!!  Sometimes, everyone likes a book and I just don't for whatever reason.  I was glad that wasn't the case this time.  My BookTok friends did not let me down.  The following is my review.

***************

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

 After seeing this book countless times on TikTok, I decided to go ahead and give it a try.  I checked it out with the Libby app from my local library in audio format.  I was excited to find that I truly did enjoy the book and can't wait to read or listen to the sequel.


I got a sort of Beauty and the Beast feeling from the premise of the story, but not so much that I would call it a retelling.  I love that this feeling came from a story set in faerie or with faerie creatures.  It gave a whole new dynamic to the story and made it unique enough to really stand out.


Feyre is a wonderful character.  I love how strong she is and her devotion to honoring her word and taking care of her family or even those less fortunate.  There is a scene in the book in which it's very obvious how much she is affected by the hurt of others, and it's hurt that shouldn't really affect her given her situation.  I loved that scene so much because it showed what kind of a person she truly was.  I tend to think that Tamlin is also a wonderful person.  I think he was dealt a rough hand and is doing the best he can under the circumstances.  I hope to see more of that side of him in future books.


I think that the majority of TikTok/BookTok had it right in recommending this book.  Of course, it won't be for everyone, but if you enjoy fairy tale retellings at all, or fairy type stories I think you will enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment