Thursday, July 1, 2021

Testimonials

Having actually loved The Handmaid's Tale, in spite of it's horrendous content (I happen to love a good Dystopian book,) I was both excited and nervous to read The Testaments.  As you'll see from my review below, I did end up loving the sequel, regardless of how long it was in between each book.  I wonder from you guys, do you get nervous about things like that?  For example, I've still not read the sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird because I loved it so much and I don't want anything to tarnish that love.  I'd really love to know what you think, so please leave me a comment!

**********

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood 

After enjoying a book as much as I did The Handmaid's Tale, I get a little nervous when a sequel comes along... especially when it seemed that the original was going to be a stand alone.  I really appreciate the author's decision to answer the questions her fans and readers had by writing another book, though!   I have to say, I was not disappointed in this one.  I like how it was told in "testimonies" and feel like it added a whole new dimension to the story.


What I especially loved, and I can't be sure if this was part of the book or merely because I listened to the audio version, but I loved that there was an afterward showing how Gilead was demolished, and how the author added her thoughts to how a totalitarian government would fall.  I liked hearing how she saw the world she created and how she drew her creativity from real situations.


At the end of The Testaments, I feel like the reader will still have a few questions, but also feel a sense of completion with the series.  I think the book lived up to the hype and I'm very glad to have read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment