Thursday, July 15, 2021

Picking Up a Past Series

I used to like to wait to read a book in a series until it was all published.  But at some point, I realized that I was never going to remember every series I wanted to read if I didn't just begin them.  So, sometimes I will read part of a series and then come back to that series way later.  One such example of this is the Peculiar Children books by Ransom Rigg.  I read the first three all in a row, but then waited awhile for book 4 to come out.  While waiting for book 5 I ended up reading so many other things that it slipped my mind and now I have book 5 and I think 6 to read.  The one thing that's great about books that you really enjoy is that they stick with you.  So, after reading for a few pages it's kind of like everything comes flying back to you and you remember things you would have sworn you'd never remember without a re-read.  At least, that's how it is with me.  Not that I don't re-read ever... I actually like to refresh my memory a bit better with some books or depending on time, but it's not an always thing because, to be frank, there's too many good books out there and I know I'll never get to them all.  It's my mission to read as many as I can though!  The following is my review of the fifth book in the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children series.

***********************

The Conference of the Birds by Ransom Rigg

I have to be honest here, I keep expecting to be disappointed in these books the longer the series goes on.  You know, like when an author tries to drag a series out past it's natural conclusion and it gets kind of lame?  I'm so happy to report that that is not the case in this series.  Here we are at book 5 and I'm just as intrigued and gripped by the story as I was in book 1.


There are more monsters to chase down and fight and more adventures to be had, and new people which was probably the most exciting part for me.  I love learning about the Peculiars and what they can do.  There's a bit of romance in this one as well, it's not necessary to the plot, but I enjoyed it anyway.


I did listen to this book on audio using my Libby app, so I missed out on the pictures and will someday want to check out the book so I can see them.  But  if you're a fan of the first books in the series, I do recommend continuing because it did not get boring or trite.

No comments:

Post a Comment