Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Playing Catch Up

I've been so busy lately with work, trying to squeeze in as much summer fun as possible, and even a Summer Road Trip with my family.  I suppose it was inevitable that I'd get backlogged.  I've finished 3 books in the past week and I'm trying to catch up with reviews now.  Instead of making three separate posts for these books, I'm going to post them all here.  One great thing is that I loved all of them.  Two five stars and one four.  The only reason for my four star review was length.  I wished the book was a tad longer, given us a bit more information.  In any case, the following are the reviews for my last three reads!

***************

Love is Beautiful 1 by E.J. Adams

Though quite short, this was a very cute start to what I hope will be a great romance series.  First of all, it's a sweet romance, so there is definitely a slow burn going on.  But the characters themselves are so endearing... at least the main characters.  Amber is troubled and trying to rise above what she's been through in her short life.  Hunter is trying to make real and lasting connections that aren't based on his family or his circumstances.  As a reader, you can tell they could be good for each other and so you're rooting for them from the beginning.


I feel like this was almost a teaser book, though.  I gave it four instead of five stars simply because it wasn't quite enough for the first in a series.  I needed a bit more background and a bit more meat.  It's definitely more like a novella or a mini series at this length.  That being said, I really did enjoy it and I hope to be impressed with where the rest of the series leads.

*********

Blindsided by Amy Daws

As someone who loves the friends to lovers trope, I was so into this book.  There's definitely a spark noticeable in the two main characters from the start of the book, and yes, you can kind of predict where it's going to go, but the way the author took to get there was so much fun.


The dynamic between the main characters was so fun to witness.  The snark and bickering was so amusing, and you could tell through it all the deep affection they had for one another.  I absolutely loved how Mac was so taken aback any time Freya mentioned her body or her weight and made it seem like she was unworthy of love.  Just his honest shock and the way he went about letting her know that she was beautiful was so touching.


As with any romance of this nature, there's bound to be some kind of difficulty that comes between the couple.  This is no exception, but this time it was so honest, and so heartbreaking that I shed a tear or two.


If you enjoy a good Sport romance, or a friends to lovers romance, I feel like you will really like this book.  I can't wait to read some more by this author.

****************

 Make Up Break Up by Lily Menon 

This book was everything I never knew I needed in a rom-com.  I hope they end up making some kind of film version of this one.  


First of all, I love a good second chance romance, and that's exactly what we get from this book.  But to add just a little spice to the mix, it's also an enemies to lovers!  You're probably wondering how that could be, but I'm telling you it is!  In addition to that, there is an excellent side romance going on.


I loved that this story brought in app development as a big part of the book.  I also was extremely excited to see a woman run company and a woman developer in this book.  I would love to continue to see such positive role models for younger adults who may be reading this type of book.  Not only that, but the main character stood by her values and morals even when it meant possibly losing the guy.  She didn't just fold on her own beliefs simply to get a relationship.


I think fans of either of the romance tropes I mentioned, fans of rom-coms in general, and fans of movies like How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days would absolutely adore this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment