Saturday, October 30, 2021

Fairy Tales Reimagined

I love retellings of fairy tales and this one is great because it incorporated so many of them.  There are a lot of 2 star reviews for this one, but I think that you have to go into a book with a certain expectation.  I got this book from an elementary book fair, so I knew it was going to be simpler and geared towards a younger audience and I reviewed and rated it with that in mind.  A book for younger audiences isn't going to be as detailed as a book for adults.  I rated this book 4 stars because I think that it was executed nicely and that readers will enjoy it.

***************

Dead Upon a Time by Elizabeth Paulson

 I picked this book up ages ago at a Scholastic book fair at my kids' school.  It's been sitting on my shelf ever since until I decided to read a couple of "spooky season" books this month.  I'm glad I finally picked it up, as it was a very cute read and an interesting take on a fairy tale retelling.  


In this story, all of the fairy tales are linked and the "bad guy" is the same for all of them.  The heroes in the story are an unlikely pair of outcasts who end up leaning on each other as they try to save a princess, defeat evil and lead a rescue mission.  I really enjoyed how all of the various fairy tales we all know kept popping up throughout the story.


In the end, not only is the villain a shock, but there are other surprises for the main characters as well.  I think it was a great retelling story and that readers of all ages will enjoy it.  It does seem geared for a younger YA audience, but as an adult I still really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment