Sunday, October 24, 2021

Slowing Down

Well, I'm out of quarantine and back to work.  That means my reading is slowing down again.  I'm a little bummed, but also so glad to be over the worst of the Covid and back to somewhat normal.  I did manage to finish two books in the past week, however, so here are the reviews!  Both were solid 4 star reads, though I did enjoy Ana and Zak a tad bit more than Falling Free.

**********

 Falling Free by Evelyn Adams

I want to start off by giving a slight trigger warning.  The female MC is in a relationship at the start of the book.  I really don't like reading about cheating, so I want to make it clear that no one cheats in this book.

I loved the way the relationship between the two main characters blossomed and how supportive Amanda's family was throughout the whole book.  It really made it clear who she should be with when the family instantly likes him.  And Michael seems to be a really great guy.  He's interested in learning more about Amanda, he enjoys doing things she enjoys with her and isn't upset when she's better at things than he is.  A case of insta-lust turns into a real connection between the two.

I became aware a little ways into the book that this is a spin off series to a series that I haven't read.  That didn't distract from the story, but I do want to go read the original series now before I continue with this one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Improbable Theory of Ana and Zak by Brian Katcher

I found this book at the Dollar Tree and it looked really cute so I picked it up.  I wasn't expecting how deep it would be in the relationships with the main characters and their parents.  Ana is down right terrified that one mistake will get her disowned from her parents.  Zak is dealing with the loss of a parent and the remaining parent moving on.  Neither situation is going to be easy, but somehow, they are able to show each other how to make things better.


Both Ana and Zak misjudge each other a time or two, but when the chips are down they really have each other's backs.  I also really enjoyed the setting.  I've never been to a con before, but I feel like it's something I would love, and living vicariously through these characters was pretty great.  


I would like to see more of what happened with Ana and her parents, as well as with Zak and his stepdad and what his future might hold, however, I really love the way the book ended as well.  It was full of possibility and I feel like the reader can sort of take their own imaginings and decide for themselves how the rest of that all turns out.



No comments:

Post a Comment