Sunday, November 28, 2021

Can you say YUM?

I both love and hate books that include recipes.  I don't need more reasons to make and eat tasty food, you know?  But let me tell you, there were parts of this book that had my mouth watering!  More than that though, I really loved the main characters.  I found she was so well developed and an enjoyment to "listen to" as she told her story.  And I know I've said before that I enjoy reading contemporary fiction about other cultures.  That was another big reason to love this book.  I highly recommend!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo

I listened to this book on Audio using the Libby app.  I have to say that I really enjoyed the narrator.  I think it really enhances the book if the narration is done well.


I loved learning about different cultures in this book.  While it primarily takes place in Philadelphia, there are many references to Puerto Rico as well as a trip to Spain.  Getting little lessons about other places and people while reading fiction is a very cool thing.


Emoni is a character who has been through things that a lot of girls her age have not and so has a very different mental voice than other teens her age might.  I found the story being told from her thoughts to be so intriguing, especially when the more "normal" teenage side would show itself.  But she is a very mature teenager due to her life circumstances and that shows up in her narration.  


The other thing about this book that I truly loved, was the chapter titles and the little recipes thrown in throughout the book.  It made the story a little more fun and made me a little hungry as well.


I think fans of contemporary young adult books, fans of books with food or cooking in them, and stories about overcoming challenges are going to love this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment