Sunday, March 7, 2021

A Royal Audiobook

So, I was able to listen to another audiobook recently and I just finished it today.  It's another one that was gifted to me from a friend in Nookin' It.  (She was actually a friend of my husband's from when they were younger and then her son and my daughter became really close in elementary school, but I suppose that's not the point.)  Anyway, this was American Royals by Katherine McGee.  I had heard of the book on TikTok and had added it to my wish list, but as you'll see from my following GoodReads review, I didn't really know what it was all about before listening.  Speaking of reviews, I'm still unable to post any reviews to Amazon and I have stopped receiving replies to my e-mails asking why.  Any advice out there?  I'm really irritated because I do love being able to help out those authors by leaving a review after I've read their books.  To any authors who might be reading this, rest assured I will not stop trying and in the meantime will continue to review your books on GoodReads, BookBub and in this blog.  Well, enough of my rambling...the following is my review of American Royals.  I do recommend this book, I was very entertained!

I listened to this book on Audible, so first of all I would like to say that the narrator did a fantastic job.


The story itself was immediately interesting to me.  I'll be honest, I've heard people recommend this book, but I wasn't sure what it was about and assumed it would be sort of like Gossip Girl.  Wherein the "Royalty" was actually just rich people who thought they were better than everyone else.  I was actually pleasantly surprised when I learned that it was sort of an alternate history type story in which we see what the country might be like if George Washington had been the first King, rather than the first President of America.


I liked how the book was told in several different points of view, so you can really get a feel for all the moving parts of the story.  How each situation kind of ends up affecting the other storylines and how all of these characters' lives are interwoven.  I especially enjoyed Beatrice's POV and Nina's.  All of the characters were intriguing, and kept me interested in what was going on and what might happen next.


Little did I know when I started, that I would become so invested, because there was quite a cliffhanger at the end and now I don't have book two to read right away.  It's been officially added to my wish list, however!


I do think fans of Gossip Girl will enjoy this book, but I also think fans of books like Princess Diaries or other royalty stories will enjoy it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment