Thursday, March 11, 2021

Fairy Tales and TikTok



A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer... I was gifted this book, along with the second in the series by a TikToker who completely made my day!  I was finally able to start reading it, and intended to finish it in February, but my month was long and stressful and emotional and I didn't read as much as I wanted to.  In fact, I'm still not reading as much as I would like due to busy schedules, anxiety issues, and a plethora of other things.  But, I'm happy to say that I was finally able to finish book one in this amazing series.  I've even managed to start on book two, which is already SO good!  If you are not a part of TikTok, and you enjoy books and reading or writing, I urge you to join us.  BookTok, as it's known, is a community of bookish people on the TikTok app and it's an extremely generous, caring, and entertaining group of people.  I love spending time on the app and seeing what others are reading and what they thought.  I love seeing authors promoting their books and letting us in on little secrets.  I know a lot of people have the idea that the app is bad news, but when you find your people, it's just wonderful!  Anyway, back to the book...it was SO good, and I'll be sharing my GoodReads review below, like usual.  I did want to mention, however, that my Amazon situation has not been resolved and it seems that it may be permanent.  At least that's what they are telling me after a LOT of conversations with many different people at Amazon.   But if you know me, you know this is not over.  I WILL keep fighting!

**** 


I was gifted this book from a TikToker and I could not be more pleased.  First of all, in my job, I work with special needs children.  I also volunteer with them on my off time.  So, imagine my surprise and delight when there is a character with Cerebral Palsy in this book.  I am loving that sort of inclusion!  Let's see more and more of that in our books, movies and TV shows!  Other than that amazing fact, I also found out that this is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, and what reader among us doesn't love Beauty and the Beast?  I love the way this author changed things and created her own world and story out of this classic.  


One thing I really love about this story, is how strong Harper is.  A female character with this strength is such a positive role model for our young women, but especially when you add in the other difficulties she faces.  I found it very endearing that she put others ahead of herself and stopped at nothing to help those in need.  Another very important lesson for our young people to learn.


This author is gifted in writing villains as well.  I hated the enchantress almost immediately and that hatred grew and grew with every visit she made to the prince.  The prince, on the other hand, is a character who saw great growth throughout the book.  He improved upon himself and learned from his mistakes, creating a person the reader could begin to really root for.  I also really loved the character Grey.  


I'm very glad that I was gifted both the first and second books in this series, as I wanted to begin book two as soon as I'd finished the first, and you will too!  Now that I've begun book two (and am already immensely enjoying it,) I can only hope to get a copy of book three before I finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment