Sunday, June 27, 2021

A little Backwards

I did this a little backwards... normally I would read the book(s) before watching a screen adaptation, but everyone was hounding me to watch Game of Thrones and so I saw the first four seasons before picking up this book.  I do like the show, though it's not a show I could binge-watch really.  There's a lot of gore and things that make it an occasional show for me, which is why it's taking so long for me to finish it.  In any case, I picked up the book from my Libby app and listened while working on my house and other things.  It was LONG, like over 30 hours.  I'm usually not much of a fan of longer books, but that didn't really bother me at first.  When I thought about listening to the others in the series and realized that some of them are even longer, that's when I decided that maybe it's not imperative that I read the whole series.  I may come back to it, I may not.  What I did listen to, I enjoyed.  The following is my review.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

 I have watched the first four seasons of Game of Thrones the TV adaptation and so I thought it might be interesting to compare it to the book.  I chose to listen to the audio book because I've been so busy and because it's a rather long book.  One thing I will say in regards to the audio book specifically; I did not like the voice they had for the Imp.  I think mainly because I like the actor who plays him in the show and it did not do his rendition of the character justice.  But that's not entirely fair, I know, because the show came later.  I do think that the show stayed pretty close to the book, at least in this first in the series.  


The book itself is very well written, though extremely long.  I recommend having plenty of time to sit and read if you are going to tackle this series.  There are so many moving parts to this story that all connect in some way.  It makes for a very adventurous tale, but a clear mind needed to keep everything and everyone straight.


If you are a fan of the Epic Fantasy type genre, or a fan of the show on HBO, it's likely that you will enjoy the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment