Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Tragic Stories

There's something to be said for the reading of tragic stories.  Those ones where the protagonist has lived through something monumental and life changing and we see the differences in that character and how they've grown, matured, adapted and hopefully dealt with the tragedy that's occurred.  These Things I've Done is just that kind of story, with a little bit of romance thrown in.  Phillips has written beautifully and masterfully expressed the things that a person might go through if death has changed their entire life.  I'm not going to lie, it was very emotional to read and I can guess that some people might be hesitant to read it due to the sadness they'll feel.  Personally, I loved it because it wasn't a book set out to make you cry.  It truly was a story of growth and healing, forgiveness and love.  That said, the following is my review ...

**********

These Things I've Done by Rebecca Phillips

 While this was a super emotional and difficult read, it was also one of the most amazing YA novels I've read in awhile.  Covering mistakes that you can't take back, accidents with horrible consequences, and complicated relationships, this book will really make you look inside yourself to see how you would handle the things that Dara had to handle.


While it's very secondary to the main idea and point of the story, I'm also a sucker for best friend's brother romances... This book has a bit of that as well, though not in the normal way you see in that kind of story.  It's a very complicated situation and it's messy, but you can tell that it will be worth it in the end.


Because the subject matter of the book is so sensitive, I do recommend reading the blurb so you know what you're going into.  But I also recommend reading the book, I think it was written beautifully and can really touch lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment