Saturday, June 26, 2021

Intriguing!

This book was such a different type of story and background than I've read before.  I couldn't help but be impressed, as you will see in my review below.  It's always great, for me, when I find a new author who I end up really enjoying their work.  I know there are so many authors out there I have yet to find, but every time I do find one, it gives me this simple pleasure that I can't deny.  I also love when the stories are so different, I know the saying "there's nothing new under the sun" but sometimes just the execution is different enough to make you sit up and notice.  In any case, here's my review...


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Reaper's Kiss by Abigail Baker 

What an interesting idea for a book and a world to create.  I'm impressed and astounded at the author's creativity and imagination.  I don't think I've ever read anything with this type of creature and dynamic before.  Having the Scriveners who mark the people for death and then the reapers who come to ferry them away, it really painted a picture in the reader's mind and hooks them immediately into the story.


In addition to that side of the story, there is also a totalitarian feel to the system in which they live.  This gave me sort of dystopian vibes with a main character or characters trying to overthrow an unjust government.  In this, however, there is much more at stake and the ending of the book is traumatic in it's proof of that.  I'm happy to see that this is marked as book one, so surely I will have more of this world to enjoy.


I really love the main characters in this book.  Ollie is a strong woman in her own right and seems to get stronger the deeper into the situation she becomes.  She makes decisions based on what is best for the people she cares about without much thought to herself.  Brent is compassionate, but also a good leader and sees clearly the difference between right and wrong.


I look forward to reading more about this world and these characters.  Also, I look forward to seeing what else this author has to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment