Sunday, May 9, 2021

Jumping on the Band Wagon!

So many people have told me how much I would like this new Bridgerton show.  I don't doubt that I will enjoy it immensely, but I'm the kind of person who likes to read the books first before I watch a movie or TV Show adaptation.  Finally, I managed to get the first book in the series on Audio from my Libby app (there had been a 6 month waiting list.)  I listened to the whole book in less than a 24 hour period and suffice it to say that I enjoyed it!  I'm very much looking forward to watching the show, however I'm contemplating if I want to finish the book series first.  For those who don't know, each book covers a different sibling and there are 8 siblings in the family.  I have been told that the first season will not spoil the other books until the last episode, but I think I might at least wait until I've read the 2nd book, which I've already put a hold on in Libby.  (As well as the third, just in case!)  In the meantime, here is my review of book one!

 *****

The Duke and I by Julia Quinn 

While I was aware of the show before starting this series, and I fully admit to that being the reason for picking it up, I have not seen even one episode of the TV Show.  All of my thoughts on this book are without bias from the adaptation.  I would also like to add that I listened to this book on audio and I definitely feel that the narration having a British accent enhanced the experience for me.


The opening of the book hooked me right away.  There is a prologue that will pull at the heart strings and I can't imagine anyone not wanting to read more and see what happens to this poor child.  Once the main story started, I became even more invested.  I loved the Whistledown papers and how the story got told through the gossip rag.  I think it gave the book a bit of a soap opera feel and it definitely made me laugh out loud more than once.


In fact, there were many laugh out loud moments within the story, in addition to gasps and frustrated growls.  I love when a book causes me to have such physical reactions.  If you love a book that draws you in, keeps you interested and pulls those kinds of reactions from you, I recommend you give this series a shot.  I also think anyone who loves historical romance would enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment