Friday, May 7, 2021

The Start of a Trilogy

 I was gifted the box set trilogy of The Cruel Prince by Holly Black and I finally have finished book one.  It's not my normal go to genre, but I have to admit that I do love reading fantasy and paranormal books.  I was not instantly sucked in, but when I did get sucked in I was engrossed!  The following is my review.

*****

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

While this book started off a bit slow for me, I'm glad I kept reading because once I truly got into the story I found it to be enchanting and engrossing!  I've read fairy books before, but none that truly encompassed the world of the fae quite so exclusively.  There were humans in the story, but they are the minority and I found that I loved having a story that was solely in the fairy realm.  


The characters in this book were very well written, they had depth and personality and a distinct voice.  And the world of Elfhame was described beautifully and horrifyingly at times.  Such descriptive language allows the reader to truly enter this world and live right along side the characters.


I usually consider myself to be the kind of reader who predicts what will happen at the end of the book with some accuracy, but the ending of this book totally shocked me.  So, if you like Fairies, being tantalized with a story you can't predict, and being fully immersed into a new fantasy world, you're going to love this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment