Thursday, May 13, 2021

Queer Royal Romance

Sometimes you read a book that was hyped up so much it ends up disappointing.  Sometimes it hits just as hard as you expect it to.  In this case, it was so much MORE than I was thinking it would be.  Now, don't get me wrong, I know some people thought it was overhyped and some did not like it...that's fine.  For me, it was H.O.T. hot and it was relevant to today's society and it was beautiful and thought provoking and just everything I needed to read.  This book touched me to the point where I'm absolutely certain my review will not do it justice.  Will definitely be watching this author in the future.  The following is my review.

***********

Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

 You know those books that make you feel all the feels?  The ones that make you want to rush through them, but also make you want them to never end?  That's this book!  I had heard on TikTok and other Social Media that it was worth the read, but that was an undersell!  This book has it all, from drama to romance, secrecy, politics and royalty and an extremely diverse cast of characters.


There were some legitimate laugh out loud moments and some moments that made me tear up.  I haven't felt the complete anxiety of an election since the actual 2020 election!  And the romance made me feel those butterflies of the teenage crush years.


The characters, in addition to being so diverse in ethnicity and sexuality, were well developed and very likeable.  I really enjoyed the growth of the characters, especially Alex.  There were a few characters to hate as well, but for the most part I really did like the characters.


One thing I was not expecting was the twist toward the end.  I feel like it brought to light some difficult situations and topics that need to be talked about more.  I would love a sequel or even an epilogue type story showing Richards get what's coming to him.


If you are a fan of NA Romance, Royalty romance, or any type of political drama story, I think you will enjoy this book.  I'd really love to see it made into a movie someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment