Saturday, May 8, 2021

The End of a Series

This book series really made me think about the injustices in our own history and even in our own current world.  It's sad that as a human race, we continue to judge people based on their differences rather than rejoicing in them.  How boring would the world be if we were all the same.  On that same note, I did notice as I posted my review that a lot of people did not like this conclusion.  I did.  That's ok, it would also be a very boring world if we all loved and hated the same things.  It's good that there is such a wide variety of people and passions.  That being said, the following is my review for the fourth book in the Red Queen series.

*****

War Storm by Victoria Aveyard

 I loved this series!  I'm still a bit curious at the ending.  There are still questions that I, personally, would like answered.  There's also a lot left up in the air about Mare's future, but that makes sense at her age.  Nothing is set in stone when you're 18.  


I think there is a lot to take away from this series in the way of racism and classism.  There are definite parallels that can be seen between judging a person based on the color of their blood or the color of their skin as we see in our own world.  I also saw some distinct parallels to the servant and slavery aspect of people with red blood versus people of color being slaves in our own history.


In certain characters, I saw messages of brainwashing and possibly nature vs. nurture.  Especially with Iris, it seems she never lets go of this idea that there are people who are beneath her.  I really disliked that character!  On the other hand, I loved seeing some growth in the character of Evangeline.  She seemed to truly mature throughout the course of the series and I loved seeing where this final book took her.


At the end, I feel like there are possibilities of where else this story could go.  The future of their continent, the possibilities of Mare and Cal, and whether or not they could get to a democracy of sorts.  I kind of like the open ended situation though, it leaves us, the readers, to come up with our own conclusions and predictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment