Saturday, April 24, 2021

Continuing a Series

I read reviews sometimes AFTER I've read the book and am posting my own review.  I'm super hesitant to read a review beforehand, simply because some people just summarize the plot and some people are so negative and I don't want their opinions to color my view of the book.  I realize that sounds weird, since I do review all of the books I read.  What can I say, I'm a complex person.  Anyway, some of these people will comment about not finishing series and I always find myself flabbergasted that people can actually do that.  Like even if it takes me FOREVER, I will eventually go back and finish a series that I've started.  I guess my OCD tendencies and Anxiety just will not let me rest if I don't know how things worked out in the end.  This is another reason, I TRY to make sure the series is all published before getting into it.  So, in case you haven't guessed it, I did see some reviews from people over this book who claimed it was bad and they wouldn't finish the series.  I did not think it was bad, however, one point I kept seeing come up was that the main character, Mare, is annoying and frustrating.  I have to agree on that front.  Especially in this book, she was making poor choices, kind of whiny, and I wanted to slap her silly on occasion.  But some of the best characters are flawed and end up having some sort of redemption.  It's only book two in the series, how do we know she's not going to realize what she's been doing and come back from that?  Plus, she's 17!  Who among us wasn't a little whiny and making poor choices at 17?  I know I was!  Anyway, that being said, here's my review for book two in the Red Queen series!

*Side note: If you are reading this post, could you leave me a comment?*


*****

Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard

I listened to this book on Libby, and I want to say first of all that the narrator for this audiobook is amazing.  There were times where I literally thought it was different people reading the different characters, that's how adept she was at changing her voice.  I think a narrator like that can totally make the audio experience.


The book itself was a wild ride.  I remember getting so frustrated with various characters and their decisions because I am so emotionally invested in this story and in this world.  At one point, and this is bad as I was listening during some down time at work, I was actually crying.


The events of this volume ended in a culmination of explosive scenes and a cliffhanger of sorts that had me reeling.  I was so eager to see what was going on, that I borrowed book three and began listening almost immediately.


If you enjoyed the first book in the series, or are a fan of Dystopian Fiction, I think you will love this book and series.  Grab a copy and Rise, red as the dawn! 

No comments:

Post a Comment