Sunday, April 11, 2021

Listening IS Reading

If you can't tell from the title of this post, I've just finished an audiobook.  There's a lot of disagreements and stigma attached to listening to books rather than sitting with a kindle or a paperback.  To this I say, why?  What does it matter how we consume our books so long as we consume them?  I read books in multiple formats and ways.  I love a good paper or hard back book, I also love my Kindle and my Nook.  I love being able to pull up an app and read on my phone, and I love audio books so that I can be cleaning my house or driving while I listen.  All of them are reading to me and I count them all in my book counts.  And if you still don't think an audio book is reading, what do you think of a visually impaired person listening?  Does that not count for them?  What of a child who can't read on their own yet, is their parent reading to them not a book read for that child?  And furthermore, even if you disagree, must you judge another person on their choices and their decisions regarding their reading?  What business is it of yours and how does it personally affect you?  You don't think listening counts as reading?  Fine, don't count it for your own goals, but don't begrudge someone else counting it!  And with that, I will step off of my soap box and give you my review...

***

The Inheritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

I listened to this book on audible.  I loved the narrator and how she gave different vocal tones and accents for the different voices and characters throughout the story.


As for the story, I was blown away.  This was a unique and ever twisting story with intrigue, a bit of possible romance, and at this point more questions than answers.  Avery inherits a large amount from someone she has never met and the family is of course upset and skeptical.  This ends up in a lot of searching, both on the parts of Avery and the family members.  As Avery continues to ask questions and follow leads, she ends up discovering more than she bargained for and inevitably having more questions to be answered.


I love how the relationships between Avery and the Hawthorne brothers develops over the course of the story.  I also love the mystery and intrigue of why this is all happening.  The best part, for me, was the ending.  Even though I'm frustrated that I have to wait, I am a sucker for a good cliffhanger.  And this one is a situation I never even considered!  

No comments:

Post a Comment