Thursday, April 1, 2021

What color do you bleed?

I just finished listening to a book on Audible.  It was Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard and yes, I know I'm a bit late to the game.  This book is loved by many, and if the reviews are to be believed, hated by many as well.  One thing I kept seeing was that this book was close to, if not stepping over, the line of plagiarism.  I tend to disagree, however.  Yes, there are similarities to The Hunger Games, or Divergent or whatever, but it's Dystopian.  They all have some very similar elements to their story lines.  That's kind of what makes them all the same genre.  But, to me, the story is different than any of the other dystopian fiction I've read.  For one, the people in this world literally bleed different colors.  The rich and powerful bleed silver, while the poor bleed red.  Another difference, there are people with special powers in this story.  You won't see that in The Hunger Games.  Is there a rebellion to overthrow an unjust government?  Yes...again that's what makes it dystopian.  But, I guess my point is, read it for yourself and don't let these nay-sayers color your opinion of a book you might just enjoy.  Below is my review... 



I listened to this book on Audible and I was very impressed with the narrator.  She did an excellent job of doing different voices for different characters, and she was melodic to listen to.


As for the story, I was hooked right away.  I didn't read anything about this book prior to reading it, I just knew that it was very popular.  I wasn't aware, for example, that this was sort of paranormal in the abilities of the Silvers and the different colors of blood.  It's also a bit dystopian and I really enjoyed that element of the story.  I was fascinated by the fact that people would literally bleed different colors.


There is a villain in this story, obviously, and in fact I think there are more than one, but it was not really who I thought it was during most of the book.  I was fooled right along side the main character.  At the end, I'm still not sure what to think of one character, but I know this...I need more!  I will be getting my hands on book 2 as soon as possible (though my library has an 8 week waiting list, so my advice is to prepare early!)


This was my first book by this author, but I'm a fan now!  She took  me on a ride of ups and downs and betrayals and crushes, and adventure and despair that I will remember for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment