Friday, April 30, 2021

Equality and Diversity in the world of Fiction

 

Back to the world of the Red Queen series, what a ride I'm on with these books!  Each volume takes me on a wild ride through rebellion and fights for equality and democracy.  The author has done an excellent job of representing those with different skin color and different sexual preferences, but there is so much more than that.  The parallels we can draw from this world to are own is possibly surprising, but it's there.  You can take almost any minority and compare their struggle to that of the Reds.  And when you look at it in that light, perhaps it'd make you think twice about the way you might treat or think about those minorities in your own life.  Maybe that wasn't the author's intention.  Maybe it's just a marvelous work of fiction from a very creative mind.  I doubt it though, and even so, each reader reads a different book, right?  So, that being said, here's my review...

*****

King's Cage by Victoria Aveyard

I don't think anything could have prepared me for the third book in this series!   One thing I truly loved was the multiple POVs and getting to see how Cameron saw things throughout the story.  In the audiobook version, there is a different voice actor for that narration and I think they did really well in getting people who sounded the way their characters should sound.  I also appreciate each's ability to alter their voice for different characters within that POV.


I liken this book series to a combination of The Selection and The Hunger Games, only with special abilities or "powers" mixed in.  I like the royalty aspect and how there is a huge focus on how equality is not present in this world.  It really helped to bring to light some of the situations that are still quite wrong in our own society.  I also am glad for the diversity within the book.  


While some of this volume was a bit slow, I think the ending more than made up for that.  I couldn't wait to get to book four when I finished reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment