Wednesday, April 14, 2021

The Good and the Bad

 I have finished a couple of books lately that have shown me both the good and the bad of NA Romance.  I'll start with the good.  I've been reading and enjoying a series by Ruby Vincent.  It's a Bully Reverse Harem Romance, so I'm not sure if it's entirely NA, but it is in High School but with adult themes, so I think it fits.  I would definitely not shelve it as YA that's for sure.  In any case, the series is gripping.  I've just finished book 2, Broken, and I can't wait to read book 3.  It's one of those that keeps you on the edge of your seat and reading way past your bedtime.  My review is following...  

***  

Broken by Ruby Vincent 

I'm not sure what I've stumbled into with this series, all I can say is, I'm SO freaking hooked.  I've been drawn in so completely and I will not rest until I see it to the very end.  


The bullies thought they won, but Val is too strong and has come too far to let them chase her away.  The biggest shock for me, was the ending, but also finding out who is behind the Spades!  Like, what?  I love that Val has come clean about her past to some people and she has friends (for lack of a better word) in whom she can confide and hopefully trust.  I will also admit to getting a somewhat sick sense of satisfaction in the antics of her revenge against those who wronged her in book one.


Knowing what we know now only makes me more eager for book three and finding out how the story will move forward now that there are secrets that these 5 characters share.  I think victims of bullies or abuse, if not triggered, could find this book and series kind of cathartic in the reading of it.  And, of course, the fans of bully romance and dark romance will find this series riveting.   

*** 

The Bad of the situation was a book called Slammed.  It's by Claire Adams and after reading it, I've seen multiple reviews that share my opinions on the matter.  This "book" was more of a novella or a serial, which upon looking at Amazon, I think it's been released as a box set after my purchasing it (which I'll admit was years ago,) and that might make it easier to read.  But the book literally stopped in the middle of a story and situation.  It was almost to the point that I wondered if I had managed to get a damaged copy or something.  It was 50 pages of rekindled HS romance that turned out wrong.  I was trying to find book 2 on my Nook (where I was reading this one) and couldn't find it.  Possibly because of the release as a box set, the individuals were removed?  Anyway, the following is my review... 

***  

Slammed by Claire Adams

I really wanted to like this book. I had it downloaded on my Nook and thought I'd give it a try, but it ended abruptly with no conclusion. I'm left scratching my head, because I think it had promise and could have really gone somewhere, but it was literally 50 pages and then ended in the middle of the story. It says book one, so maybe there is more, but I felt as if this wasn't even a full first book.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment