Monday, April 19, 2021

Cultural and POC Reading

I have been trying to add some more culture into my reading, and some authors of color and characters of color.  Looking through my Libby app for my next read after Splintered and I came across Love, Hate & Other Filters and thought I'd give it a shot.  I was blown away, guys!  This book had it all!  Romance and those butterfly type feelings from a good YA novel, but also some cultural education and eye opening situations that really made me think.  The following is my review, but if anyone has any other suggestions for me, please leave me a comment!

***** 

Love, Hate & Other Filters by Samira Ahmed

As I go through my TBR this year, I'm trying to expand my horizons, especially when it comes to authors of color and stories about different cultures.  One thing I find to be true, is that no matter all of our cultural differences, matters of the heart and humanity remain the same.


This book, written by an Indian author, and focusing on an Indian family, was an excellent look into the workings of an Indian family.  Not only did the author show what it is like to be Indian and Muslim in America, but she also spoke of how things were in India as well and how they differ.  One thing I don't think enough people are aware of, is the amount of racism that Indians and Muslims face on a regular basis.  Maya and her parents are threatened and tormented by people based on their religion, the color of their skin and their last name.  It was very eye-opening for me.


This book was also a coming of age story about choosing to walk your own path in a family where that might mean hurting people that you care for.  Maya's parents are set in their ways and don't think that Maya should be making the choices she is making.  I loved Maya's aunt though and I think it was amazing that she had someone like that in her corner.  One thing I truly loved about the book and Maya's character, is that since she is so passionate about making movies, her inner monologue is often spoken in movie cliches.  I found that to be so genuine, because we do tend to do that.  I know my thoughts are often expressed (even if within my own head) in bookish ways because I am such a passionate reader.  I thought it made so much sense that Maya's thoughts would come across that way.


I definitely recommend this book.  It's thoughtful and makes you consider life from different points of view.  

No comments:

Post a Comment